Parents of Child Who Swallowed Souvenir Penny Sue Bronx Zoo

The parents of a 3-year-old boy who swallowed a souvenir penny from a dinosaur exhibit at the Bronx Zoo have filed a lawsuit against the zoo.

The suit was filed by the parents of Ethan Yi, who visited the dinosaur exhibit at the zoo during the summer of 2013. The admission price to get in to the exhibit promised each ticket holder a free gift.

Once inside the exhibit, each family member, including 3-year-old Ethan were handed a pressed penny that had the words "Dinosaur Safari" imprinted on it.

Ethan placed the penny in his mouth and immediately began choking, according to court documents.

Unable to dislodge the penny, the Yis rushed Ethan to a nearby emergency medical clinic where X-rays revealed that the boy had swallowed the coin, which had moved to his stomach.

When the coin did not naturally pass through Ethan's digestive system, he had to undergo endoscopic surgery to have it removed.

Doctors discovered that a rough edge of the penny lacerated the lining of Ethan's stomach, resulting in more than $50,000 in medical bills.

The lawsuit, which names the zoo and the Wildlife Conservation Society as defendants, is seeking an unspecified amount in damages.